Monday, January 3, 2011

A Vegan Speciest?

Ever since I decided to follow my path to Japan I have heard so much about the word Speciest and/or Single Issue Campaigns. A person who is considered a "speciest-ist" is someone who takes one species over another while eating the other one. Now recently other vegan abolitionist are frowning down upon a vegan activist that does action for only one animal and calling their action "Speciest" and doesn't help the end to all suffering.

Now to start off I am living a vegan lifestyle and I am volunteering my time for action to help animals anywhere in the world. To state "I" as a vegan is a speciest for wanting to be there for dolphins is an outrage. The dolphins amongst all other animals deserves support and protection no matter where they are in the world. In this case they are in Japanese waters and this is where their lives end.

The movie "The Cove" in my eyes has woke up millions of people to see what is happening to dolphins in Japan. However I see this awakening go even further since I do organize protests and demonstrations on the streets and this year alone I have had over 40 new activists come to the events to support the dolphins. Some of these activists became vegetarians instantly while others are making the transition. Also a good portion of them are organizing their own events for animals and have found a new path and/or organizations to support. Now when people take that thought of feeling the pain and suffering of the dolphin and make a conscious choice to bring it to the streets then they are more susceptible to be open to more animal sufferings. Since I am the leader of my own events and I am living a vegan lifestyle I do speak about all animals and therefore these people are exposed and learn.

A movie like "The Cove" that speaks about ocean animals grabs the attention of people who admire those animals. This to me is a start down the right path and makes it easier as an activist for animals to bring more information to them to have them walk further down this path. We as vegans and animal activists need to open our arms up to anyone that wants to help and learn about the attrocities towards animals. To bash people especially ones that want to learn because they have not changed their diet yet is wrong in my opinion since they have made the step to "Ask". My path as a vegan is to co-mingle with meat eaters so they know what I do, what I eat, and why. If we just hung out with only people living a vegan lifestyle then how do we grow?

Another issue I have heard is that the producer of "The Cove" lives with a meat eating family. Honestly it would be great to have the whole family not eat any animals but at this moment I am more happy that he has affected millions internationally that exceeds the 2 he lives amongst. I love anyone that speaks for animals and does good deeds to help any of them from domesticated pets, strays, ferals, forest rehabilitation, etc however when I have a chance I speak about why I went further just to have it resonate within their mind. Awareness is an amazing action because most people just don't know!

So please accept more meat eaters into your life so they can be exposed to your living habits and talk about why you have changed instead of pointing fingers and throwing rocks at other positive actions. I want the vegan lifestyle to be everyone's choice and not one way is the best. I am all about diversity but what I am very strongly supportive to is "Positive Action" since it makes people want to listen and become apart of the action.

Stay positive its the only energy that the darkness cannot extinguish!

The next and final event I have coming up is January 8th in Hamilton at the 3rd floor of Bizclip on #327 King Street West with the band AdvertEyes and Vegan Food cooked by a chef. You can view more details here: FACEBOOK R.S.V.P.




Please contact your closest Japanese Embassy/Consulate and let them know you do not approve and want the dolphin slaughter to stop: Stop The Slaughter

Bob Timmons
Future Cove Guardian
http://www.bobtimmons.org/
http://thecoveguardian.blogspot.com/
_______________________________________________________________
It was a couple of years ago that I first learned about Taiji Bay aka "The Cove" when I did a painting that I called "The Rising Sun Exposes The Guilt". Now I have an opportunity to do more and this is becoming a "Cove Guardian" with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in Taiji Bay, Japan.
 I have started to organize ways to raise some money and awareness about this decision I have made and you can donate and share on facebook,  , Paypal (timmons.animal.artist@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment