Sunday, August 7, 2016

Jet Lag..? 4 Ways To Beat It!


If you're an experienced traveler for Leisure or Business you may experience jet lag once in your lifetime.
I have traveled from Canada to Japan and Australia on two separate occasions. Very very long flights of 11-13hrs. 
How do you prepare yourself just for the flight alone let alone the time zone change?
Well.. I may have some tricks up my sleeve to help you with the next time you travel from your home to another time zone especially if its a 12 hour difference! I have not experienced jet lag yet in my life as a passenger! That may change now that I am a flight attendant in the future but at the moment I do not fly International.
  1. Get comfortable in your seat and know the time of where you are going. Like James Bond synchronize your watch to your destination. This way you will know what they are currently doing - breakfast, lunch, dinner, sleeping..
  2. Now since you know their time at your destination then start preparing yourself to blend into that time zone Now.. So if they are at certain times like breakfast, lunch, or dinner then you pretend you are too! This is where most people mess up! They keep their time zone routines!
  3. This one is VERY Important! If the destination you are heading to is SLEEPING! Then you must REST! Just close your eyes and do you best to sleep. Use any sleep aids you feel you need and get to it! This way you are already training your cycle to be on their cycle! This will greatly help your transition at the highest percentage!
  4. When you arrive and its 10am there and normally 10pm from your time zone you MUST stay up the entire day - eat breakfast, lunch, dinner with the locals and then go to bed at a decent hour like 8:30-9pm! This will enforce your transition to the 2nd day refreshed and ready to have fun!
I believe these 4 tricks will help you greatly make it safely rested for fun or that Business meeting planned and you will be ready to go by day #2!
Let me know how these tricks work for you! I found it easy to create this when I worked in a 12 hr rotating career position up in Canada. I just treated my 12-13 hr international flights as if I was working my night shift and slept when the destination locals slept. It was interesting to watch everyone on the plane eating dinner and lights out at 9 pm when the local time was morning in Japan for an example. I am sure more than half the plane was jet lagged for days! Not a fun thing to have when you lose a day on your way back.
Well enjoy your next ADVENTURE!! Talk to me when you get back by leaving a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment